From Cezar VE3LYC – ”We chartered a boat for this project at a cost of $20k. Our time schedule is to leave Weno on April 30, and return on May 12. To guarantee this schedule, 50% of the charter cost must be paid by March 15. Flying to Weno will take 3 days each way, with a mandatory overnight in Hawaii or Guam, depending on actual flights/airlines. The team will arrive in Weno at least two days ahead of the boat departure, in order to finalize a number of logistical aspects associated with this operation. The Pulap atoll is part of the West Chuuk Group (OC-155). This IOTA reference was activated twice, in 1979 by DF6SL/KC6, who operated from Puluwat, and in 2004 by V6O (W5BOS), who operated from Pulap. The group is currently is high demand, (MWL 14.4%). The Satawal atoll is part of the East Yap Group (OC-299), which is still to be activated for the first time.
The plan is to arrive in Weno by plane, and sail first to Pulap, located approximately 240 km away westward, and then to Satawal, situated another 240 km further to the west. Radio operations will be carried out from each atoll for 5 days (4 nights). There is no WiFi communication on these islands, but the chasers will be able to track our progress via the InReach system. The respective link will be made available on this website before the start of the expedition. This will also allow us to be in communication with the Pilot station, who will inform the chasers on our progress, and provide us with appropriate feedback from them.
Local supply boats sail to Pulap from Weno (Chuuk), and to Satawal from Colonia (Yap). However, their schedule is irregular, and doesn’t provide for stays of a few days on the islands. Additionally, such boat rides can be postponed or cancelled with short notice, due to a myriad of factors. Since our project requires a specific time schedule, the only option was to charter a boat. This will not only guarantee that our goals can be achieved, but will ensure that the overall travel time will be kept at a minimum.”